By Jocelyn Gilmour
What does one wear to a fashion show? Lets be honest, GUCFS is no lfw ( London Fashion Week, duh) so you don’t need to be front row ready. HORIZON is basically a party, with a fashion show in the middle, in aid of charity. But girl, you wanna look good.
The show is officially Black Tie but what is Black Tie? Does it mean full-length ball gowns? Or sequence cocktail dresses? My advice – dress to impress. Be sassy. Be cool. But be comfortable – you’ll never look good if you don’t feel good in your outfit (a mistake I made at AfterDark ’15).
Why was this dress a mistake? Well, its white = bad idea when you drink vodka coke & there was a lot of tape needed….. Not the best idea when you running around like a headless chicken.
Dress from Solace London, RRP £180 but I got it from eBay for only £40!
Last year, my dress literally arrived the night before the show – I was nearly outfit repeating (disaster, I know)!!! Since it arrived so late, I had no time to get it altered and ended up with a dress with about a 10foot train. Do not wear a dress with a long train, it will only get stood on and ripped off – RIP dress.
I have minimal photos of me in this dress ( I was probably too busy bossing someone about). This dress was specially made & designed for me (Tall probs). £200
There are very few opportunities to get dressed up at uni, so use the Fashion Show as your time to shine! Go long or short, it doesn’t matter. I mean look at this sassy short dress from Asos. Or this full-length organza special that will make you feel like a princess.
Your outfit doesn't need to break the bank. Think eBay, Depop or even Boohoo. Or better, steal your flatmates!
My 5 top tips for dressing for the Fashion Show
1. Be comfortable – you are going to be in your outfit from pre drinks until the 2am.
2. Don’t like wearing dresses? Get some sassy trousers and avoid having to fake tan your legs.
3. Spice up your dress some accessories. Primark currently have some fancy bargain hairbands that will spice up any outfit.
4. Be prepared. You don’t want to be running about the West End on a Saturday afternoon trying to find a pair of sucky in pants (or maybe that’s just me). You’ll have more time to enjoy getting ready and feel extra special.
5. Be extra!!! Think the earrings are too much? Wear them. Glitter lips? Do it. Heels to high? Never. You do you!
I hope to see all you sassy girls strutting down SWG3 like it’s your own catwalk.
FOLLOW OUR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS.